Meet the Maker: Tanya Mortson from Tanya's Wood burning


Hi, friends! How are you? How was your week last week? We took a mini vacation at home with some of our friends from the ministry group we work with. We had a really nice time. Great to have a vacation but also to sleep in my own bed while doing it. What have you been up to? I would love to hear from you. Feel free to comment below or email me. Also are you a maker? Would you like a blog interview or a product review? Either comment below,email me or fill out our typeform and we can get you set up.

Without further ado, I am excited to introduce you to our Maker today, Tanya Mortson from Tanya's Woodburning.

Where are you from? I'm from Ontario, Canada
Where do you live now? Toronto
How long have you been crafting? 2 years

What drew you to wood burning or what inspired you? I began wood burning because I wanted to come up with a unique gift idea for my mom for Mother's Day. I remembered that as a child I received a wood burning kit as a gift, and I instantly bought some wood, a wood burning pen, and started right away!

Is there a story behind your shop name and if so what is it? I really need to come up with something clever. Every time I came up with a good pun it was already taken! I vow to change mine into something punny once Christmas rolls around as my new business cards have already come in the mail!

When did you start selling online? About a year ago-- but only through Instagram and Facebook private messages. I'd like to have an Etsy shop by Christmas.

And what drew you to sell online? At first, I had no idea how to reach out to people. It was far from Christmas so I didn't even think of setting up booths at craft shows until fall rolled around! Toronto actually has a Facebook group with over 60,000 users. It's called Bunz, and it's all about trading products you don't want anymore, but you MUST trade for something else. Money isn't allowed, but subway tokens and gift cards sure are, so that was my original version of selling online and it was a hit!

What hopes do you have for your business in the future? I'd really love to make it my full-time job and have an Etsy account. I'm not sure how I'll make that dream possible yet, but I'll get there!

What is your most favorite piece that you have made? I really love one what I've done pretty recently, it's a silhouette of a family of deer with a bunch of trees and mountains!

What is one thing you would love to share with others who are considering going into the handmade business? Find something that you find happiness and excitement doing-- perhaps it's something you saw on Pinterest, maybe it's a childhood craft you did long ago. It takes practice but eventually you'll become amazing at it. And if you don't, watch enough YouTube tutorials until you can call yourself a pro!

Thanks for sharing Tanya:
You can find Tanya online in the following locations:
https://www.facebook.com/Tanyas-Woodburnings-855077171247499/

17 comments:

  1. This blog is really helpful to deliver updated educational affairs over internet which is really appraisable. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now.Italienischer Schmuck & Accessoires

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice and interesting post. I was looking for this kind of information and enjoyed reading this one. Gadget personalizzati

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. Anonymous Chat

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are avid metal detecting fan you are always looking for new places to discover treasure. You may like to go to the beach, to the park, or different playgrounds in your area. how-to-start-a-woodworking-business.s3.amazonaws.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. jamb saws buying guide

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exterior wood restoration is becoming a lost art for many reasons. The difficulty in restoring wood with today's coatings coupled with manufactured products taking over the market is causing professional wood restorers to become extinct. read more detail

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as the retailers are concerned, kids bedding is another product line for them. In other words, it has to make business sense for them to continue selling children's bedding. So bottom line matters. How much the bedding is selling for, and how much it costs the retailer to buy the bedding - those are the two key metrics. girls bunk bed with slide

    ReplyDelete
  8. In addition to the various categories that Teds Woodworking Plans provides its customers, it also provides its customers with four great bonuses. The coolest of these bonuses is another software program that is called the DWG or CAD software. Herbert

    ReplyDelete
  9. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… wood wrist watches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although we don't think about it much, the Second Law of Thermodynamics has an impact on our lives. Basically, it means anything left on its own will start to decline. The good news is that we can fight back through maintenance, such as by using the process of wood restoration. Such processes can prevent or perhaps, even reverse, the process of deterioration. Sometimes, it can even restore the wood to its original state! Detailed Strategy

    ReplyDelete

March '24 Potomac Beads Treasure Box Unboxing

Hi Friends, How are you? I hope well!! Here is my latest unboxing video for my potomac beads Treasure edition box subscription! Check it out...