Meet the Maker :Susan Carl from Sue Made That.

Welcome to another addition to our Meet the Maker series. I am really having fun getting to know these artists. I hope that you will too.

I met Sue through Instagram. She was a winner of a feature on our Instagram feed and I offered if she would like a blog post as well. I am so excited to be able to share about this maker and her shop with you.



Sue is originally from Upstate NY. Her younger years were spent in the small-town area of Dryden (near Ithaca), but her adult years (from college on) were spent in Rochester. Sue and her husband lived for a bit in Texas while they served in the US Air Force.

Currently, Sue and her husband (of 36 years) moved to Virginia last year for a very special reason. Here's what she told me. "When my son told us that he and his wife were preggers with our first grandbaby, we sold the house, packed up, and moved where they are so we could help raise our granddaughter. We care for her full time while they're at work. It's a very rewarding life to be on the scene for all her precious phases of growth!" I am sure that is very rewarding Sue. What a blessing that you were able to do this.

Sue has been doing one craft or another for most of her life and she has tried her hand at many things, including sewing, crocheting, jewelry, Coptic-bound journals, and so much more. Sue mentioned to me that "Creativity is in my genes. I HAVE to be making something or it feels unnatural." Do you feel this way too? I know I do.

When asked what drew her to her particular craft or what inspired you? Sue shared "I remember seeing my mom wood-burned some pieces when I was an adolescent. I thought they were so beautiful. When my son was 1 yr old, I burned a set of wooden blocks for him as my first attempt at the craft. They were fun but rough. (We still have them. My granddaughter plays with them now!) I didn't do any more until about three years ago when I picked up the art form for real. I usually get bored with a craft and move on to something else, but this art form is so diverse that I still haven't begun to get bored. I have so many ideas, so I'll be learning and burning for years to come. :)" That is so fun Sue. How neat that this began with your mom and now you can share it with your granddaughter.

Sue opened her Etsy shop a little over two years ago. Here is what Sue shared with me about her first experiences. "It was slow going the first 6 months as I learned about SEO (Search Engine Optimization), taking good pictures and writing good descriptions. And did I mention SEO? ;-) As I applied all I was learning (the learning and tweaking never really does end, by the way), sales finally began to come in. Now I find I'm having to apply some strategies that slow sales down a little! I'm a solo artisan and my hands can only move so fast!" What a blessing that you are receiving so much business.

When asked what drew her to sell on-line? She shared "Before selling online, I sold in open-air markets. I loved the markets. The people are fun and the atmosphere is intoxicating. But not having to give up an entire Saturday or weekend to sit at a market has been a blessing. More time to burn. I also love the idea that people all over the US (and some international) find my shop and buy. I think I'm only missing a sale from one state (come on, Rhode Island!). " Anyone from Rhode Island out there reading this, can you help Sue out?

I asked Sue what hopes do you have for your business in the future? Sue remarked "I haven't committed to international sales, yet, but only ships internationally upon request. I don't think I could keep up with the business if I were to go full-out international. I think something would suffer - my sanity for one :-), my time with my granddaughter and family for another, and the quality of my work and customer service. Those are non-negotiables for me. But I hope to go international when the time is right. In the meantime, I'm branching out in the variety of products I offer, as well as learning and practicing more design forms to burn (mandalas, Celtic knotwork, zengraphics, fantasy languages) and learning new burn techniques (stippling, shading, etc.)." Sue's new designs and techniques sound really interesting.

Sue loves doing custom work. Being able to create a one-of-a-kind piece or set is very rewarding for her. And creating something special for someone to give as a unique gift Sue considers it to be the best feeling ever. She recently did a full salad service set (large salad server, individual bowls, and serving spoons) as someone's wedding gift. It was designed with specific elements that were meaningful to the couple. She loves to think about the fact that this set reflects who they are as a couple and their lifestyle choices and that the set will be a cherished gift for years to come. That is really exciting. 

When asked what is one thing she would love to share with others who are considering going into the handmade business? Sue shared "Oh my! I've learned so much in the last several years about the handmade business. Where do I start? :) Offer something people will want (not just what you like to make). Practice your craft so you're offering the very best (your best and among the best in your field). Provide exceptional customer service (communicate, communicate, communicate - clearly and with kindness). Learn about the ins and outs of whatever sales venue you choose (markets, online, gift shops, drop-ship, etc.). Seek out and listen to advice from others with experience (forums, FB groups, etc.). Prioritize (keep the people and things most important to you front and center, not the business). Believe in yourself and your product (let the nasty criticism roll off your back; it's unlikely those critics could do what you do). And Don't Give Up! Launching a business takes time. Experimenting with what works and doesn't work for you takes time. Reputation building takes time. Getting those first sales and reviews takes time. But as you apply what you learn, your business will grow." This is some really great advice. I feel blessed to have learned more from and about Sue. I hope you have too.

Also, check her out on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/suemadethat2/

Sue has graciously offered a special code for our readers. Head over to her ETSY shop and use the code SCOTTBLOG15 on your next purchase and you will receive 15% off.


No comments:

Post a Comment

March '24 Potomac Beads Treasure Box Unboxing

Hi Friends, How are you? I hope well!! Here is my latest unboxing video for my potomac beads Treasure edition box subscription! Check it out...