Meet the Maker: Becca from Tuxedo Crafts


Happy Friday friends. How are you? How has your week been? My three year old seems to finally be on the other side of his cold and two of our kids were at bug camp all week, with our oldest visiting friends and family in Texas, it has been a very different but busy week. I have also been prepping for the 25 days of Christmas in July Craft Challenge that starts tomorrow. I hope you will join us for some or all of it. You will have the opportunity to win a custom made piece of jewelry from our shop Mt Nittany Creations.

Are you a maker or know a maker who would like a feature on our blog? Please comment below or email me.

Today's Meet the Maker interview is with Becca from Tuxedo Crafts. I am excited to share this interview with you and her beautiful needle workpieces. Without further ado, let us get to it.

Where are you from and where do you live now?
I was born in Nuneaton, moved to Suffolk when I was only 2 years old, but now I live in Ipswich, Suffolk, UK with my boyfriend. I don't really know any of those places but sounds like you have some done some moving around.

How long have you been crafting?
I have always tried different kinds of craft, from woodwork to sewing and making plushies. I have been doing embroidery since February 2017, so I still have a lot to learn, but I'm really enjoying it!You such a beautiful job for just starting out in February with your embroidery. Great job.

What drew you to needlework?
My mum had mentioned that she had lots of unfinished cross stitch pieces hanging about that she'd love to finish soon, and after looking at them with her, it motivated me to actually sit down and give it a go. I'm not one for following patterns, so I sort of made it up on the spot! That is so interesting how you just started making it up right on the spot. You have such pretty pieces.

What do you like the most about this type of crafting?
It's so therapeutic and creative. I used to come home from work and play video games or cook and by the time I got to bed, I didn't feel like I'd accomplished anything, but now I come home, embroider for an hour or 2 and I can look back at it, knowing I made it and I have something to show for the time I put into it! (Don't get me wrong, I still love video games) I am so glad that it is so therapeutic and creative for you. It is so important to have those kinds of outlets.

Do you work any other jobs or are you able to craft for a living?
I would love to be able to embroider for a living, but I have a full-time job as an interior planner for a big supermarket store called Sainsbury's. Maybe one day you will be able to make a living from it. That is neat that you are an interior planner.

When did you start selling on-line and what drew you to sell on-line?
I started selling online after my first little flower hoop got over 800 likes on Instagram, so around the middle of February. I started selling online as few people had asked me where they could get one, and also it has become a hobby that funds itself! All of the materials and equipment I buy has come from the money made on Etsy.What a blessing that you received so many likes and that your hobby pays for itself. That's great.

What hopes do you have for your business in the future?
I hope that given a few years, I would be able to take this hobby and make it into my own business. I also have a goal for myself to try and attend as many craft fairs as possible, but not to go too overboard!I hope that this will work out for you in the near future.

What is your most favorite piece that you have made?
Currently, it's my teal daisy hoop. It's so simple and lovely. Cool.

What is one thing you would love to share with others who are considering going into the handmade business?
Do. Not. Give. Up. I've seen so many incredible creators and pages slowly grind to a halt because of lack of interest, but stick at it, try new styles, new websites, craft fairs, local magazines, and newspapers. Etsy and Instagram aren't going to be the website for everyone to get started on, and all you need it one piece to take off and for everyone to fall in love with it. Please keep going!This is such great encouragement. Thanks for sharing.

You can find Becca online at the following locations.

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/tuxedocrafts
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TuxedoCrafts/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tuxedocrafts/

No comments:

Post a Comment

March '24 Potomac Beads Treasure Box Unboxing

Hi Friends, How are you? I hope well!! Here is my latest unboxing video for my potomac beads Treasure edition box subscription! Check it out...