Meet the Maker: Louise Gee from Chick with Chainsaw


Hi, friends. How was your weekend? We just arrived back Saturday night from a very nice week long trip of visiting family, friends, attending a conference and an overnight for me and my husband. We had a very lovely trip. I especially loved the quaint cottage we rented for our overnight. What were you up to this weekend? Have you found any really cool makers you would love for me to check out? Or are you a maker who would love to be featured? Please comment below or email me. I love meeting and supporting makers in any way I can. Don't forget that starting July 1 is our annual 25 days of Christmas in July Craft Challenge.

I am really excited to introduce you to this next maker. She too loves to support other makers and she does it in a really fun way. She has created an online character of a squirrel that goes around tagging other shops that tag hers. Many makers know her because of this fun scheme she has going. I too have done a tagging war with her with my online tagging character of a unicorn. If you are around on a Friday and on Instagram, find a Follow Friday post and I am sure you will find Louise and her squirrel in a fun and delightful way supporting other handmade shops.

Louise was a winner of a feature on our Follow Friday giveaway post. I am excited to interview her and share this fun loving talented lady with all of you. Without further ado, let's meet Louise from Chick with Chainsaw.


Where are you from and where do you live now?
I was born in West Yorkshire and now live in a little village in the Peak District National Park, near Sheffield, in South Yorkshire, in the UK. I’ve worked all over the world, Europe, the US and even Spanish America, but Yorkshire has always been the place I call home. And it’s good to be back. That is great you are blessed to be back home.

How long have you been crafting?
I started woodwork around 8 years ago when I bought the house where I live now. It had a big wild garden and its own tiny wood and branches kept coming down in storms. So my urge to chop wood was practical before it was artistic. Initially, I just needed to chop wood up for the wood burner but then I started to realize how beautiful wood can be. This is such an interesting way to get started.

What got you started in making things out of wood and a chainsaw?
See above! But actually, it was even simpler than that. I wanted a chunky and rustic wooden cheeseboard and I couldn’t find one I liked. So I made my own out of a piece of laurel wood from a tree I’d pruned. Friends and family admired it, so I made another, and then I set up an Etsy shop and sold it, and I went from there. I don’t just do cheeseboards now, I make coasters, cufflinks, spoon rests, wooden hearts and fruit bowls too. But it all started with that cheeseboard. All the wood I use is either a windfall, so a branch that came down in a storm, or pruned branches, ones that I’ve removed to strengthen the tree or encourage it to grow in a certain way. So I can honestly say that no trees are harmed in the making of my products. Thank you for not harming any trees and for making a cheese board.

When did you start selling on-line and what drew you to sell on-line?
I started out with my website in 2014 but I just wasn’t getting much traffic. I knew my products were a niche so that’s when I opened an Etsy shop, to get in front of an international audience that loves handmade products. Etsy is quick and easy to set up and it gave me more visibility. Your products truly are unique, I am glad you started an ETSY shop so that we can all enjoy, especially those of us across the pond, the lovely pieces you create.

What hopes do you have for your business in the future?
More sales! I’d love to get a deal with a retailer, maybe a retailer who specializes in either handmade or wooden products. With a little investment, my business could and would be scalable, in that I could still design and easily teach others to help me with the making. I’d also love to experiment with resin. I’ve seen some fabulous wood with resin pieces and I’d love to try my hand at that. And engraving too. I don’t currently offer personalisation but I’d love to be able to do laser engraving in a way that doesn’t damage the wood. Oh wow, these are some really neat ideas for the future, I hope they work out for you.

What is your most favorite piece that you have made?
Definitely my laburnum wood fruit bowls. They have holes in the middle and they’re fabulously perfect in their imperfections. I’ve made two of them and I love their dramatic dark wood and their natural curls and swirls. The tree is a beautiful one, and it grows on tall and strong, with showers of golden flowers every year. I will definitely have to check this one out, it truly sounds lovely.

What is one thing you would love to share with others who are considering going into the handmade business?
Do it! It’ll be more time and less money than you think but it’ll also be more joy. Oodles and oodles more joy! There’s something amazing about someone else loving something you’ve made, and about shipping your handmade products all over the world. They’re all a little piece of you so every sale and every review of a handmade product is really special. This is so true.

Thank you so much for sharing Louise it has been a pleasure getting to know you better. I wish you all the best in your business.

You can find Louise and her unique wooden pieces online at the following locations:
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ChickWithChainsaw
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chickwithchainsaw/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chickwithchainsaw/
Pinterest: https://uk.pinterest.com/gee0398/chick-with-chainsaw/


No comments:

Post a Comment

March '24 Potomac Beads Treasure Box Unboxing

Hi Friends, How are you? I hope well!! Here is my latest unboxing video for my potomac beads Treasure edition box subscription! Check it out...