Meet the Maker: Tanya Moulds from Paint and Letters

Hi, Friends. How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun? We had a fairly quiet weekend of being home and running errands. We are less than a week out from our 25 days of Christmas in July Craft Challenge. I am working hard on putting together the craft line-up. Hope you will join us on July 1st. Our regular posts will still happen on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

If you would like a blog feature or know of a crafter we should feature please comment below or email me. Today's interview is with Tanya from Paint and Letters.

Where are you from and where do you live now?
I consider myself from both Kansas City, Missouri and Torrance, California as I grew up in both places. I live in Meridian, Idaho now, which is part of the Boise metropolitan area.

How long have you been crafting?
I've been crafting for as long as I can remember. My family is full of crafters. I remember my mom attempting to teach me to crochet when I was 5, and I managed to make a blanket for my Barbie. I've been really blessed to have a lot of opportunities to learn, and experience, a variety of arts and crafts throughout my life. That is so fun that your family is full of crafters. What a fun memory with your mom.

What got you started in making things by painting and lettering?
I took several art classes growing up, but the focus was always with dry media. I've painted with acrylic on canvas in the past, but my heart longed to learn watercolor. In 2016 I finally decided to grab the watercolor paints out of my daughter's art kit and learn. I often start projects but don't stick with them past a point, so I decided to make it my purpose to stick with this and push past the challenges I faced. I wanted to master something, not just be a Jane of all trades. As it turned out I seemed to have a knack for it. I also found painting with watercolors to be so relaxing. It was the first time I found something that I enjoyed the entire process. It sometimes takes me hours to create a small piece, but I don't mind. I too can struggle with finishing projects. Don't look in my closet or art supplies, haha. But how fun you found a natural knack for watercolor painting and that you enjoy it so much. That's great.

As I was learning about watercolor I came across a watercolor lettering class. The instructor pointed out that you can learn to letter regardless of your handwriting skill. My handwriting is pretty terrible, so I was intrigued! I began lettering in January 2017. I joined RandomOlive's brush letter practice guide tutor team at the beginning of May to share my progress and tips I learn along the way. That is really interesting that you can letter regardless of your handwriting skill.

When did you start selling on-line and what drew you to sell on-line?
I had been contacted by a number of friends, and followers of my Instagram about purchasing prints, originals, or custom orders. I opened my Etsy shop at the beginning of May so I could open up my products and services to a wider audience. I was inspired by many creative women, who encouraged me to put myself out there. I sell digital prints, custom orders, and original artwork right now, but I have plans for more in the future. That's great you had so much encouragement to start.

What hopes do you have for your business in the future?
My business isn't just about people buying my art, but also helping others to create. I talked about being a Jane of all trades before. I worked as a graphic designer, and photographer, for several years. I'm working to make digital tools more accessible, and understandable for other analog artists to utilize. My goal is to offer both free and paid, content to train artists to use these tools so they can do more with their art. I've also been working on my own line of watercolor paints that will be available in my shop soon. I'm so excited about that. I get super nerdy about the science of art, so this has been the perfect way to marry both sides of my creativity.Wow, these are all really cool ideas that you have for the future. I look forward to seeing all of them happen for you.

What is your most favorite piece that you have made?
Gosh! That is hard! I feel like almost every new piece becomes the new favorite. I'd have to say that my painting "Kindred Spirit" is still a favorite though. The one in my shop was actually the second I did, and it was amazing how improved my work was since the first time I painted it. Even so, I still loved the original a lot. Once I've gotten through the 100 Day Project I hope to explore more subjects for my paintings. That is exciting to be able to see how much your work has progressed like that.

What is one thing you would love to share with others who are considering going into the handmade business?
If you make time management a priority in your process it's amazing how much you can get accomplished. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't get burnt out trying to do it all at once. Make a plan with long and short term goals, follow each step through and you will get there!This is some really great advice, Thank you for sharing with us today Tanya.

Links
http://paintandletters.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/paintandletters
https://www.instagram.com/paintandletters/
https://www.facebook.com/paintandletters
https://www.pinterest.com/paintandletters/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChfjZInIUugtOrOwCbosJUg



No comments:

Post a Comment

March '24 Potomac Beads Treasure Box Unboxing

Hi Friends, How are you? I hope well!! Here is my latest unboxing video for my potomac beads Treasure edition box subscription! Check it out...